Monday, July 11, 2011

Clinic Time!

Now imagine if people here in America were lining up outside dental offices just waiting for their chance to get a tooth pulled or a cavity filled. Fun right? Now try to imagine if all of the doctors were trying to tell you to calm down in a different language and explaining that the sharp object entering your mouth is actually going to help you. Peruvians are so brave! We had little eight-year-olds coming in all by themselves telling us that they needed our help. Luckily we had some great kids in our group that were willing to entertain. My Mom and little sister Maddy don't speak a word of Spanish, but that didn't stop them. They were painting nails and giving out stickers to all these nervous kids. I loved this opportunity to meet some of the Peruvians. I'm sure they were just laughing inside when I tried to speak Spanish, but I did my best! The little kids were so cute and it was hard sometimes to sit there while they were on the verge of tears and not know how to comfort them. I need to learn Spanish...it's on my list of things to do. Luckily there were a few people with us to translate, but boy were they busy going back a forth. The first day at the clinic was so slow and not many people showed up. We were so worried that they just didn't hear about it so a few people went out on the streets to bring random people in. As the days went on it got more and more busy and I had a great time assisting my dad! It got a little boring at times when there was nothing to do so what did we do? Dance! Well at least I did...maybe that's why I got the "Boogie" award at the end of our trip. Hey, I may have made a fool of myself at times, but that's one of the best ways to have fun!
Love Lyn




No comments:

Post a Comment